Servings: 6 Serving Size: ~ 1 cup
The original recipe was from The Complete Quick & Hearty Diabetic Cookbook which is no longer in print. The recipe has been modified to reflect changes made over time based on cooking courses and flavor preferences. This recipe uses layers of tender eggplant to replace the noodles in this hearty entree that can be made ahead and frozen.
2 cups chopped onion
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
16 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
Fresh ground pepper
1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
1 large egg, beaten
4 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1. Steam eggplant in a steamer according to steamer directions. If you do not have a steamer, arrange eggplant in 2 layers on a microwave safe dish and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Sprinke eggplant with water and cover with damp paper towel. Rotate and turn layers of the eggplant, microwave for 2-3 more minutes. Allow to cool.
2. Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Addonion and garlic and saute over low heat until onion is tender, about 6 minutes. My personal preverance is to cook for at least 15 mintues to allow onions to build a deeper more caramelized flavor.
3. Stir in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, salt, oregano, basil, and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 20-30 minutes, sitring occasionally.
4. Combine mozzarella, cottage cheese, and egg together and set aside.
5. Place the eggplant, cheese mixture, and tomato mixure in alternating layers in a 13x9x2 inch backing pan. Once you have used all the eggplant, cheese mixture, and tomato mixture, sprinkle the dish with Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes and serve hot. Great side dishes include a mixed green salad with viniagrette dressing and garlic bread.